Mattituck was settled in 1662 by English colonists. On their large land grants they pastured flocks and herds, and raised corn, wheat, rye, and flax. Bustling colonial Mattituck had a minister and school teacher, a blacksmith, carpenter, cooper, weaver, fuller, tanner and miller.
Today Mattituck is an area of fertile fields stretching from sound to
bay. Water related sports abound -fishing, boating, and swimming. Land
activities include tennis, horseback riding, dining, and browsing the
Love Lane shops. Among Mattituck's scenic attractions is Wolf Pit Lake
on the North Road, (Route 48) the Old Grist Mill, now a restaurant, on
Mattituck Inlet, and the 1854 Octagon house on Main Road.
The Mattituck Historical Society operates a historic complex on the
south side of Main Road (Route 25), about half a mile east of Mattituck
High School, which includes the main museum house, an 1864 schoolhouse, a
milk house and a barn. The white Georgian home, now a museum, was built
in 1800, and its large west wing added in 1841. It is furnished with
antiques of the period, and displays a collection of toys and rare
musical instruments. Other displays include century-old clothing, guns,
quilts, maps and arrowheads.