- General Information
- Southold Permits
- NYS Licenses and Certificates
- Town Meeting Calendar
- Agendas and Minutes
- Town Records
The Town Clerk's Office is frequently considered the center of town government. It is the office that is responsible for recording all vital records, the activities of town government, as well as storing the documents that are important to the lives of townspeople.
Responsibilities and Services
The office of the Southold Town Clerk involves a great variety of different duties and responsibilities that are contained mainly in New York State's town laws, as well as in other statutes.
- Has custody of all the records, books, and papers of the town.
- Is designated by state law as the town records management officer. As the town's records management officer, the Town Clerk coordinates the town's records management program.
- Must attend meetings of the Town Board, act as clerk thereof, and keep a complete and accurate record of the proceedings of each meeting. The Town Clerk is not a member of the Town Board and has no vote on any matters coming before such board.
- Must maintain an Ordinance Book and enter in such book a copy of each ordinance of the town immediately after adoption by the Town Board.
- Shall record and index all local laws a separate book or books.
The Town Clerk is the filing officer of the town. The filing requirements for many documents with which the Town Clerk is concerned are prescribed by various laws specifying the filing. The following are illustrative of some of the various documents, papers, and records in connection with the operation and administration of town government, which are required by law to be filed with and be on file in the Town Clerk's Office.
- All oaths of office of town and district officers; oaths of fire police.
- Proofs of all publications and postings of notices where such notices are required to be given.
- Tentative budget. The budget officer files the tentative budget with the Town Clerk, which after review and modification, if any, by the Town Board becomes the preliminary budget.
- Annual budget.
- Annual financial reports of the Supervisor.
- Audits conducted by the Office of the State Comptroller, or by an independent, outside accounting firm.
- All written notices received by the Town Highway Superintendent of defects in highways, bridges, or culverts.
- All written notices of defects in sidewalks.
- Certificates of abandonment of town highways.
- Claims against the town.
- Bond and note registers
- Ordinance book, minute book, local law book, marriage license book, birth and death register.
- Maps adopted in connection with a zoning ordinance or amendment.
- Copies of Bingo and/or Games of Chance financial reports.
2. The Town Clerk must procure and maintain a signboard at the entrance to his office for the posting of legal notices of the town.
3. The Town Clerk is required to certify to the County Clerk, within 20 days after their appointment, the names and addresses of all appointed officers (except inspectors of election), the date of their appointment, and expiration of their term.
4. The Town Clerk must immediately notify the State Board of Elections of the receipt of any resignation from an elective officer, together with the elective date thereof.
5. The Town Clerk must issue many types of licenses and permits pursuant to the Town Law, various other laws of the state, and town local laws and ordinances. The Town Clerk shall also have such powers and perform such additional duties as are or may be conferred or imposed upon him by law, and such further duties as the Town Board may determine, not inconsistent with law.
- Parking and Disposal Permits for 2022 - 2023
- Public and Legal Notices / Employment Opportunities
- Freedom of Information Law Request Form (FOIL)
The Town Clerk's office accepts the following payments:
- Credit Cards: VISA, MASTERCARD and DISCOVER
- Check: Payable to the "Southold Town Clerk", phone number on check
Documentation Required for Resident or Property Owner
- Town of Southold address is on the vehicle registration.
- Name and/or address on the vehicle registration matches the name and/or address listed on the recorded deed for the property in the Town of Southold.
- A year round lease/rental agreement, name and/or lessee address must match vehicle registration.
Please follow instructions carefully, refunds are not available.
A clear, legible copy of the current, valid vehicle registration that you wish to obtain disposal and/or parking permit(s) will need to be uploaded for each vehicle. Each vehicle will require a separate transaction.
|Dog License Renewal||Permit Portal|
USPS Mail In Forms
Resident or Property Owner
Resident or Property Owner
The current, valid vehicle registration(s) (copies are acceptable) of each vehicle that you wish to obtain disposal and/or parking permit(s) for.
|Resident Commercial Shellfish||Shellfish Information / Regulations|
|Resident Disposal||Non-Resident Non-Commercial Shellfish|
|Resident Parking||Permit to Hold a Yard Sale, Garage Sale, Attic Sale, Auction|
|Seasonal Guest Disposal||Special Events Application and Regulations|
|Seasonal Guest Beach Parking||Hotel / Motel and B&B Parking|
|Seasonal Lessee Disposal||Initial Alarm Application|
|Seasonal Lessee Parking|
Tue, Nov 29
Tue, Nov 29
Thu, Dec 1
Tue, Dec 6
Wed, Dec 7