Orient

History of Orient


Indians, part of the Algonkian nation, were Orient's first inhabitants, and called the land Poquatuck.
Country Kitchen
Lighthouse on the water
Englishmen who settled here around 1661 called it Oysterponds. Orient became its name in 1836.

Oysterponds was included in the land claimed by Southold's first settlers in 1640.
Their original deeds are lost, but a confirmatory deed of 1665, and Governor Andros' Patent, 1676, are in Southold Town's official records.

Harbors
Orient's excellent harbors and fertile land brought tradesmen, fishermen and farmers, who built their homes and shops as early as 1661. A wharf and warehouse were added in 1740.
Webb House
Village House
Village House
Village House, once the home of Augustas Griffin. At right, former one room schoolhouse of New York District #1.