Amendment to Chapter 280, Zoning
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that there has been presented to the Town Board of the Town of Southold, Suffolk County, New York, on the 23rd day of April, 2019, a Local Law entitled “A Local Law in relation to an Amendment to Chapter 280, Zoning, in connection with Definitions” and
NOTICE IS HEREBY FURTHER GIVEN that the Town Board of the Town of Southold will hold a public hearing on the aforesaid Local Law at Southold Town Hall, 53095 Main Road, Southold, New York, on the 21st day of May, 2019 at 4:31p.m. at which time all interested persons will be given an opportunity to be heard.
The proposed Local Law entitled, “A Local Law in relation to an Amendment to Chapter 280, Zoning, in connection with Definitions” which reads as follows:
LOCAL LAW NO. 2019
A Local Law entitled, “A Local Law in relation to an Amendment to Chapter 280, Zoning, in connection with Definitions”
BE IT ENACTED by the Town Board of the Town of Southold as follows:
The Purpose of the amendment is to add the definition of a cabana/pool house within Chapter 280 of the Southold Town Code.
The Southold Town Code is hereby amended by adding the underlined words as follows:
B. Definitions and usages. Unless otherwise expressly stated, the following terms shall, for
the purpose of this chapter, have the meanings as herein defined. Any word or term not
noted below shall be used with a meaning as defined in Webster's Third New
International Dictionary of the English Language, unabridged (or latest edition).
CABANA/ POOL HOUSE - A one-story, ground level detached accessory structure or a ground level portion of an existing one-story accessory structure, located adjacent to and used in conjunction with an inground swimming pool.
Cabana/Pool House design requirements:
- A cabana/pool house or any portion of an accessory structure dedicated to such use shall not exceed 350 square feet of gross floor area.
- A cabana/pool house shall not contain more than one room other than a bathroom.
- A cabana/pool house shall not be heated, nor shall any pool house/cabana contain a
- kitchen or be designed, equipped or used for cooking or sleeping purposes. A refrigerator no greater than 5 cubic feet in capacity is permitted.
- Interior plumbing fixtures shall be limited to a sink plus one bathroom containing a
- toilet and sink.
- Cabana/pool houses shall not contain indoor showers. Outdoor showers are
- All plumbing fixtures shall drain to a Suffolk County Health Department approved
sanitary system in a conforming location.
- A building permit for a cabana/poolhouse shall not be issued unless: there is an existing
inground pool with a valid Certificate of Occupancy; a building permit, that is still valid,
has previously been issued for an inground pool, or the building permit for the
cabana/poolhouse is being issued simultaneously with the issuance of a building permit
for an inground pool. No Certificate of Occupancy for a cabana/poolhouse shall be
issued unless there is an existing inground pool with a Certificate of occupancy or a
Certificate of Occupancy for an inground pool is being issued at the same time as a
Certificate of Occupancy for a cabana/poolhouse.
If any clause, sentence, paragraph, section, or part of this Local Law shall be adjudged by any court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, the judgment shall not affect the validity of this law as a whole or any part thereof other than the part so decided to be unconstitutional or invalid.
IV. EFFECTIVE DATE
This Local Law shall take effect immediately upon filing with the Secretary of State as provided by law.
Dated: April 23, 2019 BY THE ORDER OF THE
SOUTHOLD TOWN BOARD
Elizabeth A. Neville
Southold Town Clerk